Welcome to our Family

Our family would like to welcome you to our blog. Here you will encounter our adventures, big and small. We hope that we can offer some ideas and inspirations for your family.

Friday, July 6, 2012

Happy Birthday to the Amazing Pops

Photo: Happy birthday to my wonderful husband today!  Love you!  Happy 58th Birthday to the best dad I could ever have.  He's taught me more than he could ever know.  We definitely had our ups and downs while I was growing up, honestly more downs than ups as a teenager, but I'm proud of what our relationship has grown into.  As you may notice, I look like my dad, but that's not the only thing that we have in common.  You see, we are ALOT alike so many many ways.  This was probably the reason why we butted heads so much when I was still living at home.  These two hard-headed, stubborn Germans fought hard for the last word...oh my goodness did we fight!  We both have a similar temperament, attitude, sarcasticness, and patience (well perhaps lack thereof).  But we also have love for our family, compassion, a hard working nature, and most importantly faith in God.  I may have mentioned before that he's the one that's taught me that "Everything may not always work out the way we think it will, but it always works out."  Faith is a very important part of our lives and I'm so grateful that my dad and my mom have always had such a strong faith life that I have always been exposed to it, leaving me with a deep faith that has gotten me to where I am now.  This includes, faith in my parents, faith in my family, faith in my marriage, faith in my kids, faith in humanity, and most importantly faith in God.

Everyone who knows my dad must know that he can tell a good story.  Well, my stories may not be all that great or entertaining, but I sure do like to tell them too!  Only my dad has a way of making a good story into a great story into a fascinating story into an "okay, you've got to be making this up" kind of story.  The BEST kind!  It is never dull when my dad is around.  He's got the biggest heart!  When I was young I didn't always see that.  I'm not sure if it was because he kept it to himself or I couldn't see it because of my own selfish teenage ways or my naivety.  But that man will do whatever he can for just about anyone.  Just don't cross him....nah, I kid.  He'd give you a second chance, just don't cross him a second time!   


Things I've learned over the years:
  1. Don't even attempt to get the final say.  As much as it might kill you to not get it, it just won't happen in a disagreement with him.
  2. Every time we have family game time and we get the man laughing, it NEVER fails, he's going to laugh until he cries (sorry dad, it's true).
  3. I can count on my dad for ANYTHING, big or small.  He constantly surprises me with his generosity and kind heart.
  4. He's a big softy since he got grand babies.
  5. He's the hardest working man I know, right next to his Dad.
  6. He deserves all of the great things in his life, and much more.  He's earned it!
  7. And even now that I'm grown up enough to realize that every superhero has their limitations, my dad is still Superman to me.  Only now because I know what Kryptonite can do, I can see his human side which I can relate so much better to.  Obviously it was always there, but immaturity kept me blind to it.
  8. Bake him a homemade blackberry cobbler and you've made his day.
  9. or Send him a picture of one of his precious granddaughters and it will  make his day.
  10. I wouldn't trade my dad for anything in the world. 
I've never stopped and told my dad how much he means to me or how much who he is has made an impact on me.  But Dad, for your birthday this year, this is my gift to you:

Thanks for all the times you told me no.  Thanks for all the times you let my friends come hang out at your house and stay over late, I'm sure keeping you up.  Thanks for supporting all my big life decisions, no matter how difficult it was for you to do.  Thanks for loving my husband like a son.  Thanks for still treating me like your little girl and like an adult at the same time.  Thanks for teaching me about the importance of hard work and dedication.  Thanks for loving me unconditionally.  Thanks for growing with me as I grew, allowing our relationship to change for the better.  Thanks for being able to tell me "I love you" not only with your words, but your actions.  Thank you for building a beautiful deck in your back yard for my wedding rehearsal dinner and for the beautiful wedding you gave Fernando and me.  Thank you for being the best Pops our kids could ever have.  Thank you for being such a faithful man.  Thank you for meeting and marrying mom, the most incredible mom in the world!   Thank you for getting me interested in classic movies (oh and thank you for giving me the gene that makes me like watching random crappy things on TV...really, why do we watch half of that stuff anyway?)  Thank you for the most awesome, fun, safe childhood anyone could ask for.  Thank you for all the things that I have failed to mention that I should be thanking you for. 

Oh yeah, Dad, thanks for always letting me borrow your cooler when I forget mine!

I did leave off the thanks on the car advice my senior year in high school.  Well, thanks for helping me pick out a car with awesome gas mileage, but no thanks for the lack of power steering.  Dad, that was a pain in my booty.  I guess we can't get it ALL right :)    

I try to cherish every moment that we get together.  Even though those moments are not nearly enough.  I hope this birthday and every day to come is the BEST DAY EVER for my dad.  I know that every day we get to spend with him is deeply cherished and enjoyed!  

Thinking of you today and everyday, Dad.  Happy birthday from all of us!  I hope we get to celebrate with you soon. 

Love, 
Jen, Fer, Max, Nico, and Belle   

No comments:

Post a Comment